We hope you’re preparing for a safe and happy Thanksgiving. This week, we’ll share some of the most treasured Thanksgiving traditions from our team members–and we’d love to hear about yours.
First, though, for stock market news. The DOW is up to an all-time high. “At this point, the market indices seem to be approaching levels that we saw back in February, before the pandemic,” said Todd Feldman. “And even companies like AirBNB and DoorDash are scheduled to have an IPO.”
AirBNB’s public market debut is happening even as some cities and states restrict activities during the COVID-19 spike happening nationwide. The company lagged earlier this year and has seen an upward tick since summer. Some people are using AirBNB to find safe lodging in remote areas away from other people for a vacation or break from the norm–including members of the Obsidian team!
Also good for the stock market is the announcement of another COVID vaccine, this time from Moderna. This vaccine is also testing at around 95% effective, and unlike the Pfizer vaccine, it does not require super-cold storage and can be in a refrigerator for a month. Both vaccines require two doses. Two more pharmaceutical companies are working on vaccines, so we may see as many as four vaccines available as soon as next year.
A vaccine will make it so much easier for all of us to celebrate holidays and special events around friends and family safely. Below are some of the ways our team will be celebrating Thanksgiving this year:
- Sausage stuffing
- Mashed potatoes and lots of gravy!
- Green bean casserole
- Sweet potato casserole
- Cranberry relish and pumpkin pie
- Pumpkin pie
- We play Christmas music once dinner is over. The Twelve Pains of Christmas is always first.
- Love football games on Thanksgiving Day and relaxing with family.
- Hanging out with family and watching the Macy’s Day Parade.
- Must watch the Dallas Cowboys game!
- Breaking the wishbone of the turkey.
- Because we lived a long way from family, we invite friends in the same situation over for Thanksgiving dinner. We always had a crowd for Thanksgiving.
- When growing up, we played touch football at the neighbor’s house on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
- My no-fail turkey process involves soaking the turkey in brine (salt water with herbs) for 24-48 hours. I cook it breast side down to keep the meat moist. This ensures the dark and white meat are done at the same time (dark meat takes longer to cook). You flip it over for the last 30-45 minutes for crispy, brown skin on top. FYI, flipping a large turkey is a two-person maneuver unless you have heavy silicon oven gloves.
Black Friday or Cyber Monday:
- Days gone by. It was Black Friday. Never cyber Monday. Now it seems to be check writing!
- I like Cyber Monday shopping, I have never shopped on Black Friday!
- I’m definitely a Cyber Monday shopper
- Use to be black Friday, most likely Cyber Monday this year
- We liked to go out on Black Friday afternoon, after everyone else went home.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Securities offered through Triad Advisors, member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory Services offered through Obsidian Personal Planning Solutions, LLC. Obsidian Personal Planning Solutions, LLC, and Obsidian Personal Planning Solutions, Inc, are not affiliated with Triad Advisors.